Thursday, October 13, 2011

Q1. The pressure of urban development along the coastline has caused a range of geogrpahical issues involving various groups. Residents, tourists and commercial - related activities all need to be managed by geographers so that the development of the coastline is sustainable.

Q2. A sustainable development for the coastline is recommended so the population growth and pollution can be managed.

Q3. Over development and rapid growth of coastal areas occur due to the current Australian trend for people to move from large cities to smaller coastal towns and villages where the lifestyle is more relaxed, and this is known as 'sea change'.

Q4. One government response to sea change is the residential caps they have put in place so the sea areas do not get over populated.

Q5. The four areas I have chosen to analyse are the following; introduced plants, inappropriate development, coastal rivers + lagoons and pollution. Firstly, introduced plants. In 1908 South African a plant to create sand dunes in Australia. The problem was that this plant killed all surrounding native flora.

Secondly the inappropriate development, many people have the dream of owning a beach house, that is why there is such a demand for beach estates. As a result poorly planned, overpopulated beach apartments have been created.

Thirdly, Coastal river entrances. River entrances along the coast are prone to silting up as a result of both natural and human actions.

Lastly, Pollution. Pollution from urban developments along the coastline is altering coastal ecosystems.

Q6.The geographers are the developers of these management solutions for the issues plaguing our coastal environments.

Q7. My name is Lukas de Vries and I have just moved into the new beach front apartments on the coast. I have loved my time here and love the view, but that was what I wanted to talk about, the view. I have seen the people in town look at my apartment blocks with anger and frustration, I realized that they feel as if these apartments should not be here and unfortunately I feel the same way. I find two problems with these apartments, the risks of living so close to the beach with global warming and seas rising, also the surface these buildings are over. If they are so close to the beach, they cannot be stable. I would very much appreciate it if you would post my comments in your next addition of your morning paper. Kind regards, Lukas.

No comments:

Post a Comment